Nancy J. Lewis, MS, SHRM-CP, PHR, RCC
In the world of business and life, it is so important to strive to make sure our words and actions are congruent. So often, we commit and make promises that we fall short of fulfilling. Yes, the reality is life happens and we forget, get busy or simply forget what we committed to. But the person, you committed to is holding you to what you promised. You may say well things happen and I just forgot. That may be true, but the world is very, very small and broken promises can come back and haunt you. It is critical that we as professionals make sure our words and actions are in alignment. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what you say, people believe what you do. So here are a few questions and tips to help you the next time someone asks something of you.
1. Stop and ask yourself is this something I can do based on the things going on in my life and on my calendar?
2. Would someone else on my staff or network be able to help them with this?
3. Is this busy work I am a committing to or is it something that is in line with my goals?
4. If I commit to this, am I writing it down or putting it in my phone at the time of discussion? Determine who is charged with the responsibility of the follow up.
5. Think carefully before you respond and commit as you cannot be all things to all people.
6. Sometimes you simply have to say "NO."
7. When you drop the ball and forget, call, email or text and extend your apologies. This shows respect and that you value the person and is good business etiquette.
The bottom line is we need to remember an old phrase used many times in business, "Under promise and over deliver. Little things really do matter when you are dealing with people...BEintentional with what you say and do!
Book Debra, Michelle, Nancy or Carole for your next speaking engagement or training event.