By Debra W. Gould, MS
Debra (in red jacket) surrounded by students from
Xavier University in New Orleans.
We all know one--a person who is an innovative thinker, a "household name." That person has transformed into an expert or "thought leader." Today, we share six tips to help you through the journey of transforming to a thought leader.
1. Help people understand how you see the world.
2. Let them know to what you're paying attention.
3. Give shout outs to people who inspire and inform your thinking.
4. Try to frame the bigger conversation for your field or industry.
5. Listen to what's being said. Avoid debate over trivial stuff.
6. Focus on what's being overlooked but truly matters.
When it comes to your community, you become a leader when you take care of those around you. Demonstrate your commitment to collective well-being, and people will naturally turn to you for guidance. Be earnest in your approach and you'll naturally become a leader in your field. Being recognized and appreciated for your efforts is an obvious by-product. People like to spread and share great things. Take care
Debra W. Gould, MS is the president of Debra Gould & Associates, Inc. based in New Orleans and provides management consulting and training services to commercial and government clients. Debra is one of the founders of The Ebony Speakers and co-author of the book, Real Women, Real Issues - Positive Collaborations For Business Success. Debra can be reached at: (504) 244-6576,
email: firstname.lastname@example.org and
Book Debra, Michelle, Nancy or Carole for your next speaking engagement or training event.